Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Little Girl, Big City

I made it up to the city! It only took four hours, three IKEA stops, two cars, and one set of parents to accomplish.

It was about as fun as it sounds.

My apartment is big (for New York) and definitely has potential. My room is by far my favorite room in the place, thanks to a certain Swedish furniture manufacturer. Also, it's the only room in the apt with AC. Yeah, I only leave it when absolutely necessary.

I'm becoming somewhat familiar with the subway lines. I just have to stop letting the DC girl in me show by calling the different lines by colors.

Me: "I take the red line to 42nd, right?"
Unfriendly Passerby: "The what?"
Me: "The red line...from 157th?"
Unfriendly Passerby: "Ohhh. You mean the 1."

...the last statement is usually followed by a withering stare. Forgive me for calling it red...but it's red on the map! I was excellent at identifying colors in grade school. Numbers, not so much. Perhaps this is why I'm up here pursuing a job in a creative field and not something in mathematics.

Speaking of jobs, I don't have one yet. So for those of you who keep asking, no worries. You will get an email along the lines of "OMGIGOTAJOBANDITPAYSHOLYCOW" when I become gainfully employed.

My roommate Kaelyn has been pretty good at keeping me occupied up here. She had a birthday party last weekend and let's just say she enjoyed her beverages. A lot.

She's also taken me shopping for big girl clothes, so now I have plenty of pencil skirts and heels to wear to my nonexistent job. I'll be the best-dressed homeless person around in a few months.

Despite being homesick upon occasion (yes, I actually miss some of you!), I have met some cool people up here and been to some fun places. Anybody visiting me will absolutely be taken to Alice's Tea Cup for brunch. Your treat. I'm unemployed, remember?

One of the things I've learned to love/hate up here is Kaelyn's kitten, Antigone. Or as I call her, "Get off the curtains!" She looks like my cat Lilly and is adorable, but seriously has no off button. Kittens are supposed to sleep sometimes, right? Hmmm.

My exciting schedule tonight consists of watching Project Runway and hanging up pictures with Kaelyn. I know, NYC life is so glamorous.

...actually, it is sometimes. Sydney, a friend from Mary Wash, works over at the Public Theater and works on costumes for their shows. She invited me to the premiere of Hair in Central Park tomorrow, followed by an after-party. I'm actually excited about that!

I'll be home in about two weeks to celebrate my birthday with my family. I'm looking forward to leaving the city heat behind and recharging in good old suburbia before heading back up to the urban jungle again.

If any of you are ever in the city, let me know. I would love to take you out to the three or four places I know of!

Oh, and if you're wondering about my blog name, it's based on "Sex and the City." And I want to be a writer, so "Text and the City" sounded good. Get it?

Nevermind.

3 comments:

Lauren and Rachel said...

good to know nyc hasn't changed you that much, and that tv still holds importance for you as a nightly activity :) can't wait to see you - i miss you! elk!

ps - woo first ever comment!

Sydney said...

the employeed life isn't much better! going to the opening of HAIR was just as exciting for me!

Laura said...

oh Kay, how I miss you! anyway, i think its kind of funny- we're going to totally different extreems. You went urban chic, i went rural hippy...haha, it'll be fun to see how things go...Devin and I are going to try to raise chickens! Anyway, I'm sure your pencil skirts and heels look smashing so you'll blow away any iterview you have!