DC is a ghost town.
...at least in comparison to NYC. I'm back in the 'ville for my birthday (!) and I took the Bolt Bus from the city in. The bus was great, but the guy who slept on my shoulder all four hours was not. So much for taking a nap of my own.
But seriously, pulling into the capital was ridiculous. My mother was like, "Is New York traffic this bad?!?" as maybe five cars drove past her at 35 mph.
No, Mom, it's worse. Trust me.
Anyhow, suburbia is a welcome change and something of a bore all at the same time. It's good to be home, but it's reassuring to know that I will actually be able to head back up north without feeling super-homesick next week.
Oh, and having a kitten is horrible for your perception of other cats by the way. Lily and Lucky look HUGE in comparison to Antigone. Like, mountain lion ginormous.
...or maybe they've been eating more to console themselves following my traumatic move. Awwww.
Doubtful.
Before coming down here though, I hit up a silent rave in Union Square Park with Justin (who else?) one night. Very interesting...think lots of ravers dancing wildly, but with headphones so you can't actually hear the music they're moving spastically to. The quiet didn't last long though...some homeless rally started up right next to us with the leader yelling obscenities at the ravers, telling them they're going to hell for dancing while others suffer.
The raver's repsonse? More dancing.
Awesome!
The city's bright lights, culture, and quirkiness aside, I do miss my close friends (heck, I just miss friends period) a lot. Steph and Katie had me over for dinner my first night back and they cooked for me. So delicious! Pasta, salad and meatballs, oh my!
My poor mother. We're driving back and she offers to pick me up anything I want - KFC, Wendy's, McDonalds, distance be damned. Then I have to tell her Steph is cooking for me while my own mother hasn't done that in quite some time.
But hey, no one arranges a KFC bucket quite like Nancy B. Word.
Plus, she took me to the outlets today and bought me lots of clothes. So I won't complain.
John peaced out to Tech today and Marg hits up Mary Wash on Saturday or Sunday. I'm going with her, which may be a a horrible idea. I'm afraid I'm going to break down in tears...I miss that place like whoa!
Seriously, I went with Rachel to Mason to visit Katie at her big girl job and buy school books and I almost lost it in the English section. They had my Shakespeare anthology! =(
...I swear I'm not as lame as I sound. Except I am.
I'll be around for about another week celebrating various family member's bdays along with my own. So hit me up if you want to hang and/or wish to be bored to death hearing me recount everything I've posted on this page!
I'm off to watch Friday Night Lights (first official TV promotion moment on this site!) before bed. You can watch season 1 and 2 on hulu.com for free at good quality.
Excellent show. Beautiful boys.
I'll leave it up to you all to decide which is the reason I'm tuning in. ;)
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment